Friday, May 13, 2011

six words to stand on.

i've got six words in my feet
i stand on them with clay bones
behappynowthankyouplease
and say them to the beat
of my soul's flight southbound
while the winter wing chases
me down the street.

even when bones waver in the rain
the clay skeletons turn to mud
like a broken vase on the sill
my knees fall to my ankles
and even then, i wait until
the rain washes my body away.
take the last bit of clay hands
and grab those six words
like an anthem of my mind
they echo and echo and chime
songs that my dreams sing
once upon a time:
behappynowthankyouplease.

they weigh down, 
like apples on the lively bough, 
young and fresh
but wanting and quivering to go
but all the while, buoyant
like the light on the wave
crashing tight to edges of a cave
my head sinking down for a moment
water pushing on swollen lungs,
then shattering free above the glass
and breathing in those six words
dancing in the summer air. 

No comments:

Post a Comment