Wednesday, May 12, 2010

stars and sky and universe.

I sat with my mother on the balcony one night, and I thought I could see myself in her eyes, though hers are older than my own. I could see the stars and sky and universe in the planes of her face. She had a gentle smile, like a flower unfurling, and I smiled back. We held a steaming cup of tea and watched as the city lights slowly quieted down, curling up to go to sleep. Listening to the cars and busy soft sounds, as if it were a lullaby.

And now that I am growing infinitely older, and as the time passes, the distance between mother and daughter seems to be stars and sky and universe. But all the same, I know I'll always see myself in her eyes. Just as she is forever in mine, since the glint and sparkle and sunlit honeycombs of my eyes are all her.

No comments:

Post a Comment